Wednesday, May 13, 2020

work week 15: covid week 9

What can I say, it has been another glorious three days at work.

Donated items from last week were cabbage and cauliflower, more tomato sauce (I have about 50 mini cans in the pantry, 20+ lbs potatoes, 2 watermelons, a ham, marshmallows, rice crisp cereal, crust, peanut butter, #10 green beans, #10 salsa diced tomatoes.

We have a guy who obtains food for us, whether it is from the food bank or elsewhere, I have no idea, just accept it because I cook proper meals with it all and re-disperse it to those who have no way to cook the food they may be given because they are houseless or have no electricity, etc. I am trying to come up with a good nickname for him because he named me "cookie", which I of course LOVE. I appreciate cowboy cooks, travel cooking, green rooms, movie food caterers, its very neat how they all do their jobs, their tips-primo.

(Tuesday) Had 1 can black, 3 can turtle, and 3 lb pinto beans for the main yesterday-
4 good-sized onions, salt, pepper, cumin, lemon pepper, tomato sauce, all the canned liquids, served this atop brown rice
ham, watermelon on the side, some potato salad as side when watermelon ran out, pumpkin bread with blueberries

Wednesday

Cabbage (and Ham), bread, watermelon

2 Onions, diced
1 1/2-2  heads Cabbage, diced, par cooked 
7 Potatoes, cooked and large chunked
2 cans tomato sauce
Italian seasoning packet
2-4 tbsp garlic and garlic salt, d'arbo pepper, more to taste
3 cups veg broth Broth

3-5 lb Ham (precooked, diced, ready to add on the side, not cooked in) 
bread and watermelon on the side.

Sautee the vegetables (precook potato in microwave or boil/roast depending on time). Season throughout. Add ham after vegetables, once warmed through, add broth too


Thursday 
is Curry, a mild one, not sure how any of my diners feel about that, so gunna take it easy and wait for feedback for the future.

oil
5 Carrots, sliced, par cooked
7 Potatoes, parcooked and quartered
2 heads Cauliflower, diced par cooked
1/2 head cabbage par cooked
#10 can Garbanzos
2-4 Onions, diced
7-10 mini cans tomato sauce
1-2 cups celery, diced or sliced
2 -16oz, quartered mushrooms
1-1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1  cup boiled peanuts
2 tbsp better than boullion
1/8-1/4 cup Curry powder
1 tub of raisins 20+ ounces
 additional spices at work kitchen-cumin, salt, chili powder, turmeric, garlic
1lb cooked Split pea mash, or more as needed


Bread and sorbet (lemon, sugar, apple juice, raspberries, peach, blueberries) on the side.

EDIT
It went over well, it was 25 heavy servings, probably coulda stretched it to 35-40 if in the smaller clamshell I noticed at work- will use those next time. so fun to use the raisins, peanut butter, and boiled peanuts unexpectedly for some. It wasn't too hot, Brought home to sample.

Work project updates:

-folded t-shirts that coworkers and campers cut, sewed and turned into bags now that the city has banned plastic bags! so exciting!

-made notebooks for 3 campers and the thrift manager out of spaghetti box, 2 tea boxes, and a bandaid box, gave other coworker a mini clipboard with notepad that I initially bought for me but it is very fitting for her so much more. it gives her a small mobile board to use while she books across the country later this year. the notepad says "first I do the coffee, then I do the thing" so perfect, we love coffee she and I

-Still trying to get through togo containers: the soup containers and do a variety of food, so putting bread in sandwich bags on the side and the sorbet I make and freeze in single-serve containers which have lids, again something I was trying to use before covid!
(our clam To go boxes are pretty good for our current needs since I try to throw different items in the boxes like bread/fruit/dessert)

-have about 24 containers of blueberries in the freezer that need to be sorbetified before they get freezer burn, its hot, they will go quick!

-the pantry is arranged pretty good now, sounds like my boss has a pallet of food for the pantry, but my back is out, so that will be interesting, but I think one of my co workers told her she had room in her private office

-also need to ask the campers what it was again they were thinking they needed me to make for them- they need someone to teach them how to whip stuff up back there instead of relying on me, because they have food, they honestly just need some tips, they have electric burners back there and a coffee pot. if it works when I'm camping, I am sure they can figure something out, too. I would like to help but they haven't asked me yet.

- still need to work out back up meals that could be assembled in an electric roaster without much fuss and without me if needed, from what we already have, 3 meals-worth

-still have to go through my pantry shelf of food while making the back up plan, and having too to take more donations

No comments:

Post a Comment

26:20 and 27:21

26:20 Didn't work, Went to doctors on Monday, hospital to get X-rays, then I lose track of when I filled out the paperwork at the physic...